BLUESTACK WAY ULTRA
DONEGAL 25K – 50K
Bluestack Way Ultra
This is a Race Ireland Bluestack Way 50km & 25km Ultra running event.
The event route is linear and follows the famous Bluestack Way from Donegal Castle to Ardara town square. The course is renowned for its variability in terrain of Stoney trails, Mountain Bog and tarred side roads, with specular views and amazing beauty.
The event is for individuals, women and men, there are no teams or age related categories.
Athlete support crews are advised and allowed to assist with food and fluid resupply. Support crew must transport you to and from the race start/finish and pick you up along the route if you decide to scratch.
Race Services include, Remote medical first responder, Fully marked course, GPS Tracking, Race Timing, Social media team, Finishers medal.
We have two distances which will you choose?
- 50km, 1,582m+ elevation gain
- 25km, 1,000m+ elevation gain
25k ultra way
Entry price €49
August 5th 2023
Start time - 9.00 am
25km Trail Run
50k ultra way
Entry price €69
August 5th 2023
Start time - 8.00 am
50km Trail Run
Ultra Trail Course
This is the exact race course
Winners Prizes 2023
25km €49 per solo athlete.
50km €69 per Solo athlete.
Entry Fee Includes
Full Race Services, Remote medical first responder, Fully marked course, GPS Tracking, Race Timing, Social media team, Finishers medal.
If you cancel your entry after March 1st you will receive a 70% refund.
If you cancel your entry after May 1st you will receive a 50% refund.
If you cancel your entry within 3 weeks of the start line no refund will be applied.
Entry can be transferred to the following year on a one time basis.
There will be no refund on a transferred entry.
Supported rules are simple and short but important to adhere to for your safety with no exceptions.
- Everyone follows the event specific fixed GPX course.
- The Event organisers provides no food or hydration during the event however your support crew can re-feed and hydrate you anywhere on the course.
- Everyone (Athletes and Crew) will respect all competitors.
- If you go off course you must return to the point to leave the course and you cannot join back into the route further up the road.
- Start line and finish lines are in two very different area of Donegal please ensure you have arranged transport to and from both locations, this is not the organisers responsibility. Great accommodation options exist in both area please build this thinking into your pre post race planning.
- Athletes/crews abandoning the race must call 0879814461 to formally withdraw. Arrange your support crew to pick you up along the course and return the gps tracker to a race marshal or event organiser at the finish line.
- Everyone is responsible for his/her actions, and think safety first when making decisions.
- Common sense always applies.
- Finally we leave no trace, all rubbish must be taken home, you discard nothing.
- At Race Ireland we care about the environment.
While the race is in progress, you can get in touch with the team via
SMS / Helpline:
Jason Black (First poc) 0035387 9814461
Laura Black (Second poc) 0035387 4455111
Sharon Black (final poc) 0035386 0753084
Race Mass Start
50km START 8:00am August 5th 2023
Start line : Donegal Castle Donegal town
Finish line: Ardara Town Square
25km START 9:00am August 5th 2023
Start line : Carnawee football pitch
Finish line: Ardara Town Square
All finishers will receive a Bluestack ultra runner Finishers medal.
In addition to following Athletes on our website and social media sites, will be sending out updates, images and commentary on everyones progress.
Primal tracking is supplying the tracking services and GPS units to each athlete allowing family friends sponsors and charities follow the event on the route maps
The official hashtag for the event is #BluestackWayUltra
25km Route sign-on opens at Abbey hotel Donegal town at 7am on August 5th, 2023
50km Route sign-on opens Abbey hotel Donegal town at 6am on August 5th, 2023
The trackers weigh just a little under 100 grams! They will be switched on for you on arrival and will stay going for the duration of the event. The interval is set to 5 minutes. The device is waterproof but it is best to protect it and keep it somewhere dry, especially during heavy rain. The device should run for a week when fully charged.
The unit uses GPS satellites and cellular networks to transmit the location data. It is sensitive enough that you can keep it in a bag or pocket. Make sure it is not directly near your smartphone or other GPS devices for best performance.
Please turn on and test your tracker as soon as you can after registration.
Your name and number will show up live on the race map on the race Ireland website for friends family, your charity and sponsors to follow in support.
What happens on the road is anyone’s bet and should unforeseeable events prevent you from continuing and you decide to drop out or ‘scratch’
Call 0879814461 to formally withdraw.
Arrange your support crew to pick you up along the course
Return the gps tracker to a race marshal or event organiser at the finish line.
Enjoy a beer and clap all competitor home at the finish line.
In Donegal Town – paid parking in most of the town centre car parks as well as for on street parking (50 cent per hour on street and 30 cent per hour in car parks in September 2022)
In Glenties – free street parking and the car park at the chapel is also free
In Ardara – free street parking and also free parking in the town’s public car park (behind the main street about half way
In Donegal Town – All services
On the route at Lough Eske – two 4 star hotels serve food and drink
In Glenties – All services
In Ardara – All services down the hill)
The national emergency number (toll free from any phone) is 999 or 112